11.29.2011

The King Is Coming!

Advent, from the Latin word adventus meaning coming, or meaning the arrival of a notable person, thing, or event.  

As I write this this first snow of the year is falling, Thanksgiving has passed, Black Friday and Cyber Monday are over, and we prepare for the flurry of activity called Christmas.  But how do we slow down and remember what the very first Advent was like?  How do we remember what it was like for the world to prepare for the King to come?  How do we celebrate Christmas, not for ourselves, not for presents, not for decorations, not for endless amounts of food, but for the King who through his life gave us life?

And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid.  And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.  For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.  Luke 2:9-11 KJV
 Christ born into this world, as a gentle baby, would die for your sins.  Sins that you had not committed yet.  Sins that you may not even acknowledge.  But with God's unending grace and Christ's loving sacrifice, you are covered and your debt has been paid in full.

So how should we remember this extraordinary birth and subsequent amazing life?  What should the gifts sitting under our tree look like?  What thoughts should fill our heads as we wait in never-ending lines at the store?  What should our Christmas parties be?  

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last year, I was pregnant with our third child and was actually due on Christmas Day. It was a beautiful time for me. I felt like, in a way, Mary and I were bonding. The dreams I dreamed for the baby I was carrying might have been much like the one she dreamed while carrying Jesus. Did she know that her son would lay down his life for the likes of me, my family and the baby I was carrying? Did she know he would be hated and persecuted? Whipped and nailed to a rugged tree? I think not. I think she was anticipating much different things. One thing I know for sure, she loved Jesus and dreamed big dreams for him - much like the dreams that I dreamt for Kristian.

    Feeling those feelings last year, I vowed to myself and the Lord that I would slow down in years to come and make Christmas more about the child that was given to Mary so many years ago. A child who would change history and lives. Things might not be perfectly together in my opinion or how I'd like them but I will strive for rejoicing instead of perfection.

    This year I am embracing Advent - the waiting and preparation for Jesus birth. I am trying to slow down and remember the things that really matter - A savior who was born with a plan in motion to cleanse my sins, a mother who was chosen and could have said "no", my family and friends - all the blessings that were given just by the birth of one little baby - Jesus.

    Isaiah 9:6-7
    (6) For to us a child is born, to us a son is given; and the government shall be upon his shoulder, and his name shall be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. (7) Of the increase of his government and of peace there will be no end, on the throne of David and over his kingdom, to establish it and to uphold it with justice and with righteousness from this time forth and forevermore. The zeal of the LORD of hosts will do this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I am slowing down any, not possiable. But I am planning ahead more so I don't get stressed and am able to enjoy and really be there for each moment. I kinda like the hussle and bussle of it all. People are all excited and happy, at least for one month any way. I was think about how our culture is trying to take Christmas out of the holiday by replacing it with Holiday. You should no longer address people with Merry Christmas but Happy Holidays. I hate that and I will always say Merry Christmas. Anyways, sorry I got on the soap box, they can not call the 25th a holiday day it will always be knowen for Christmas and I LOVE how CHrist's name is in it. So Merry Christmas everyone!!!! Amy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy non-denominational generic winter season holiday, Amy

    ReplyDelete