9.21.2011

Why Does God Love Me?: Part 3

In last weeks discussion the topic of how much God loves us compared to how much we love him came up...  So this week we will talk a little about how much God loves us versus how much we love him.

Cue music to get us in the mood...

We will never love God as much as he loves us.  That is just how it is.  Thinking that we will ever come close to his love is like people who think they need to get cleaned up and then they will come to church.  This is a very confused way of thinking.  God does want us to love him, but he knows that he is in a lopsided relationship.

When we stop and think about this it can feel very overwhelming.  There are some great lyrics in this song that try to paint a picture of how much God loves us and how powerful that love is.


He is jealous for me, Loves like a hurricane, I am a tree, bending beneath the weight of his wind and mercy. When all of a sudden, I am unaware of these afflictions eclipsed by glory, and I realize just how beautiful You are, and how great Your affections are for me.

If grace is an ocean, we're all sinking.

Oh how He loves us, how He loves us so.

Do you ever feel like you're sinking and drowning in God's love?  Do you feel guilty that you don't love God as much as he loves you?  That you don't always love Him?

Comment, post your thoughts, post any verses, or lyrics that help you in these times.

3 comments:

  1. Paul, Peter, and James called themselves Slaves of Christ. They were completely committed to, submitted to, belonging to their rightful master.

    I feel like if I loved God the way they did, it should be more evident in my actions. On the contrary I feel like I'm selfish with "my" time and "my" life, as if either actually belong to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good point. People should be able to see how much we love God when they look at us. But, like us, Paul, Peter, and James didn't always get it right. They were human and made mistakes along the way. Peter even denied Christ to his face! But when we think of everything good these guys did, it definitely out shines their mistakes. They are true examples of how we should exemplify Christ in our lives.

    ReplyDelete